Back to top


Work Permits for Dependent Children and Spouses of Foreign Workers

As of January 30, 2023, the Government of Canada has increased the eligibility of accompanying family members to obtain work permits.

Dependent children (under the age of 22) can now obtain an open work permit if their parent is authorized to work in Canada and is currently employed. In addition, spouses of low skilled workers can now obtain open work permits, whereas previously, work permits were only available for spouses of high skilled workers.

Accompanying family members of workers under the Seasonal Agricultural Work Permit, Agricultural Stream or Low-Wage Stream LMIAs are not yet eligible for work permits under this program. This will be implemented in the coming months.

Spouses and dependent children of economic PR applications and academic award recipients are also eligible for open work permits.