published on 13 September 2018 @ 4:38 pm · COMMENT
BartLAW Canadian Immigration Newsletter – September 2018
Canada and Australia Increase Age Limits for the Youth Mobility Arrangement
On August 28, 2018, Canada and Australia announced an agreement to expand the eligible age range in the Memorandum of Understanding between Canada and Australia concerning Youth Mobility. Australian young adults aged 18 to 35 are now able to apply through the International Experience Canada (IEC) program for work and travel in Canada.
IRCC has stated that the expansion of the age limit from 30 to 35 years will provide further opportunities for experienced professionals from both countries to gain valuable skills in a global work environment.
Biometrics Expansion Update: In-Canada Applicants
The Government of Canada has instituted a temporary public policy exemption for in-Canada applicants from Europe, the Middle East, and Africa, who would otherwise be required to provide fingerprints and a photograph to Canadian Immigration as part of an expansion to its Biometrics Program. Since there is currently no biometric service delivery network within Canada, these applicants are temporarily exempt from the biometrics requirement until the policy is lifted.
Applicants who apply from within Canada, but whose applications are not eligible for processing within Canada, are not covered by this public policy exemption. These applicants must depart Canada in order to submit their biometrics.
Canada Lifts UAE Visa Requirement
Effective June 5, 2018, UAE citizens no longer require a visa in order to visit Canada for short stays. As of that date, UAE citizens instead require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly or transit through Canada by air. Individuals seeking to work or study in Canada will still require a permit to do so.
Romanian Nationals Now Require a Valid Electronic Passport for Visa-Free Travel to Canada
On June 5, 2018, Canada announced new entry requirements for Romanian citizens. Romanian nationals with non-electronic passports, including a temporary passport, now require a valid Canadian visa in order to travel to Canada. Only Romanian citizens who hold a valid electronic passport remain visa exempt, and may continue travelling to Canada by air with a valid eTA.
Existing eTAs that were issued to Romanian nationals with a non-electronic passport on or after December 1, 2017 are no longer valid, and may not be used for air travel to Canada.
Canada Announces VAC Service Changes in Asia, Asia Pacific and the Americas
Effective November 2, 2018, Visa Application Centres (VACs) in Asia, Asia Pacific and the Americas require foreign nationals to pay an extra fee in order to file applications through the VAC. In addition, biometrics services at these locations will be provided by appointment only.
VACs located in Perth, Australia and Surabaya, Indonesia will be closing permanently on November 30, 2018. These offices will accept applications and collect biometrics until November 1, 2018. Documents (including passports) may be collected from these VACs until November 30, 2018.
• Jacqueline Bart and Carrie Wright co-authored the legal article “Canada’s Citizenship Rollercoaster” published in the International Bar Association, Immigration and Nationality Committee Newsletter, September 2018.
• Jacqueline Bart, Annsley Kesten and Clara Morrissey co-authored the Canadian Immigration Law Update to the Law in Context Private Banking Baker McKenzie International Publication, 2018 3rd Quarter update.
• Carrie Wright and Jacqueline Bart co-authored the legal article “Connecting Work Place Abuse and Immigration Compliance,” The Lawyers’ Daily, August 2018. View the article here.
• Carrie Wright and Jacqueline Bart co-authored The International Comparative Legal Guide to Corporate Immigration 2018 (5th Edition), published book by Global Legal Group (affiliated with the AILA), August 2018. View the guide here.
• We are delighted to announce that BartLAW received the international award of “Corporate Immigration – Law Firm of the Year Canada” from Finance Monthly, Global Awards 2018.